Sunday, April 10, 2011

Lectio Divina: Who Do You Say I Am?

Who Do You Say I Am?
A response to Peter’s Confession of Christ and Jesus’ Predicting His Death in Matthew 16:13-28.

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus.
You are the Christ, but does that knowledge come from my head or heart?
Has it been disseminated through a surplus of fliers, camp retreats, youth groups, books, classes, political campaigns, Google searches on theology, etc?
Has the volitional willing of my being been strained through the religious status quo
To the point where I cannot even recognize genuineness when it manifests itself in honest, impulsive, heartfelt conviction?
You said upon the true confession of Peter that heavenly things will be bound and loosed because the Father had shown him things he otherwise wouldn’t have seen.
That outside of relationality with you it is impossible.
How might my vision be blocked?
How might my faith be something other than a byproduct of our intimate contact?
Has it possibly been blocked through a surplus of fliers, camp retreats, youth groups, books, classes, political campaigns, Google searches on theology, etc?
Jesus, save me from my knowledge and bring me to affection!
And this same man who confessed his affections for you,
You called him Satan!
When will my affections for you maintain the status of corruption and selfishness?
A preservation of self unlinked to your desire to be one with many?
When will I be separated from the will to lose myself to the relationality that made Peter the impulsive rock?
The one, that you knew when you asked, “Who do you say I am?” would respond with a confession that did not betray his experience of you.
His confession was his love.
I think that was why you told the disciples not to tell anyone that you were the Christ.
You wanted them to earn that confession through experience.
And to withhold that experience?
That is Satan.
So I must pick up the cross and follow you;
In the ever connected way.
Attached to affection that is ever learning,
Ever stumbling,
Ever beckoned,
Ever experiencing,
Jesus, Jesus, Jesus…



1 comment: