Sunday, February 27, 2011

It's in the Cards, Today

I flip the cards of my life over
Laying them down side by side by side
Analyze and decipher
I am my own shaman glossing over the bones
What will my tomorrow be and what does my future hold?
What can be done about it and how can I change it?
I am so good at imagining my future and changing my todays for it
Sacrificing what experiences I have now
Sometimes destroying myself today so I can live tomorrow
Only to die again tomorrow when it becomes today
I plan my todays for my tomorrows that have yet come into being

I leave the cards of my yesterdays face down
Down down down in the ground
Or untouched on the table that beckons me to look
“Flip me over and take a good look!” they say
But I’ve seen them before and would rather look
Look not in the past because it haunts me so
As lions lay in the grass waiting for the beast
I chew the grass and move on slowly
Yet they have been tracking me from the dawn
I plan my todays ignorant of my yesterdays that have already spoken their voice

I sit glancing at these cards
Heart beating…racing…slow…steady
Can I flip over the yesterdays and give them the space to speak?
Speak and be heard
Ingested, digested, processed
Nutrition into my body
That the roots would grow deep
And my leaves would flourish in the rays of the sun
That the lions would sink their teeth into me
And liberate me from being prey
To be one with life and death
Then maybe I would live today
Connected so my tomorrows will come into being
And my sacrifice will nourish the earth
And the shaman can sleep
And my soul will find peace
Today I plan my todays
Listening to my yesterdays today
To have better dreams for tomorrow
Today

No comments:

Post a Comment