Thursday, March 10, 2011

I Don't Blame Them

In the summer of 2009, as part of my training as a counselor, I took Dr. Caprice D. Hollins' CSL 509 Multicultural Issues: Social and Cultural Foundations class. One of the assignments we had was to write a poem that talked about where we came from. So I poured out my heart as I wrote about my Chinese American struggle and came up with the following poem. Then I felt compelled to share it in class. Since then, I've been asked to share this poem a few times. And since then, sharing it has been a very frightening but affirming thing to do. Frightening because it is a wound that I am exposing, and frightening because I don't know how the audience will respond. Affirming because I love my story as a Chinese American, and affirming because I get to share my story. So, after being asked once again...here it is



I Don't Blame Them

我的名字是陳天略. My name is Chén Tiān Lüè.
The Chén family name can be traced back to one of the last Six Southern dynasties in China that ruled from 557 to 589.
But I didn’t learn that until recently.
Tiān means the day or sky or heaven and Lüè means plan, scheme, outline, or strategy,
But here it’s just another name people don’t know how to spell or pronounce correctly.
My parents picked the English name Solomon for me.
And it is oh so tough growing up and going to school with two strange names, let alone one.
So I wonder why they make fun of my names.
I wonder why I couldn’t be named something more American.
I don’t blame them; they don’t know any better…

Born in Hong Kong in 1979, before I was two, my family moved to State of California in the U.S. of A.
They sought the American dream and I had no choice but to be subjected to their odyssey.
Dreams of setting up shop and starting a company where my father’s line of Lesa watches (named after my mom) would pave the way for success.
My dad was a doctor who fled China during the revolution and swam to Macau.
A smart, stubborn, creative, and resilient man.
My mom was a talented artist and graduated with a degree in fashion design.
A woman girded with beauty and strength the world would never know.
Their blood and sweat, late nights up, money, late nights up fighting, yelling, screaming, my life, my brother’s life,
And where did we end up in 1991?
Broke and in the brick pillar of “eacon View Apartments” in Seattle, Washington.
It was supposed to be the “Beacon View Apartments,” but the “B” fell off the building and management couldn’t afford to replace it.
The stairwell we walked through every day smelled of urine and never lacked fresh graffiti.
During dark, rainy, windy nights the building would sway
And I felt it could all come crumbling down any moment.
Was this the American dream my parents had pursued?
I don’t blame them; they don’t know any better…

I speak to my brother in English, I talk to my dad in Mandarin, when I see my (ex) in-laws I speak in Cantonese.
This trifecta of language has been honed over the course of my life and has served me…
Served me well?
I remember in elementary school being put into ESL class and the shame I felt being pointed out as an “other.”
When I brought home my report cards, showing to my parent’s that I’ve failed to understand my teachers, this language, and what they have to offer, I’ve felt shame.
Day and night, night and day I wondered how I can be more like my English speaking peers.
Working so hard to fit in the U.S. of A. to pick up the language, the humor, the culture,
I sacrificed the little Chinese language I had to make room for the English I lacked.
So my English grew and my Chinese dwindled.
Relatives, friends, and other fluent Chinese speakers labeled me as the one who knew how to speak Chinese, but didn’t know how to read and write.
So my English isn’t good and I am left out,
So my Chinese isn’t good and I am left out.
I don’t blame them; they don’t know any better…

It’s sad growing up and not knowing the meaning of your name because your parents can’t tell you what it means.
I’ve felt so angry watching my parents succeed and fail, fail and succeed, succeed and fail because they don’t understand this new world they live in.
Even today I’m trying to figure out how I fit in and with whom.
Hi my name is Solomon Chan.
Have they ever thought of me as a chink?
你好! 我的名字是陳天略.
Will they think of me as too American?
Can I be one of them or someone different and still feel like I belong?
Where can I just be?
Who would I be?!?
Why am I so stressed?!?
Who do I…?!?
I don’t blame them; they don’t know any better…

2 comments:

  1. Solomon, I remember you reading this my first day at MHGS this year. I remember it often, actually. It was moving to here then and I'm so glad that you've posted it here.

    Reading your blog, and loving your writing.

    Your neighbor,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete